Sunday, March 4, 2012

Bought some nostalgia yesterday

One of my favorite things in life is finding something from my childhood at a thrift store. Every time I do, I am hit with the nostalgia that the sight of it brings. I don't always purchase these things, as some are quite ugly (no offence Mommy). Sometimes it's furniture or a toy, sometimes it's an old jelly jar with Gonzo on it. This time, it was a set of books. Anytime I had a report to do in school, I would look through our set of Life: Nature Library books to find my topic. We had encyclopedias, but they didn't have the same amazing pictures and colors that these books had. We didn't have a computer and I'm not even sure if the internet existed when I was a kid. This set of books published in the sixties to early seventies answered all the questions I could have about anything from soil, to continent formation, to why bees buzzed. They held information about everything I would be interested in back then, and, apparently, I'm still interested in the same topics today. I limited myself to purchasing just ten of the ones available at the thrift store. We probably had about 20 books from the 24 piece set when I was growing up. While I am tempted to steal them all from my Mommy, I will resist. My new goal is to collect them all so that, maybe, one day, little Timbers can look through them too, instead of just clicking around on a computer.

The start of a collection.

Such pretty yellow bees.

I love the redwoods.


They are all my favorite colors.


No comments:

Post a Comment