Tuesday, July 26, 2011

New Things

I haven't been able to shop in so long. Every time I've wanted to buy something in the last year, I had to remind myself that we couldn't fit it in the car. Now I've gone a little shopping crazy. The Goodwills and vintage stores are worlds better than anything I have ever seen in Virginia. Think of the best things you have ever found at a thrift store and imagine a store filled with only items of that awesomeness. That is how Portland does thrift stores!

Portland also knows how to do a yard sale, I tell you what. In Virginia, yard sales run from 8am-noon on Saturdays and Sundays. And for those of us who like sleeping in and slowly crawling out of bed, these hours just do not work. In Portland, most yard sales run from about 10am-5pm on any day from Friday to Sunday. And just like the thrift stores they are filled with treasures and not other peoples trash.

Apart from our record shelf and our bed, we have furnished our entire apartment with second hand goods. Most of it has come from Craigslist, while the rest has come from thrift stores, antique stores, and yardsales. A lot of it has needed a bit of retouching and a little sprucing up, but nothing that we can not handle.

Here are just a few of my favorite pieces that we have so far. I'll post more projects as I go. Enjoy!

Our living room full of awesome furniture.

This little retro end table was $4 at a yard sale.

These two adorable oil lamps were a couple of dollars. Though I can't seem to find any oil for them in stores.
Really great gold firewood holder for $2.50. Now to get some firewood. I wish I had my chainsaw.

Small antique chest purchased for $35 at Stars Antique Mall.

Handmade lamp base purchased at yard sale for $2.

Floral lampshade purchased at a yard sale for $2.

Together they make a lamp! Total lamp cost $4.

Open box TV at Bestbuy. LED Samsung 36" for $350. Much better than our old TV :)

We bought a new TV, so we needed a TV stand. Bought this for $4 at a yardsale. The lady threw in the
 matching green paint for retouching it. Purchased the new hardware for 50cents at Ikea. Total cost $4.50.

Video game storage. We have added an additional shelf to the inside.

$10 porcelain lamp base. It needs a good shade, I'm just not sure what shape or color.

Our great little round coffee table. Listed for $50 on Craigslist, but talked the guy down to $40 because the top
isn't real wood. This is also our dining table for now. 

Our green floral couch. Tim picked it out, surprisingly. I plan on covering the six cushions with a nice
brown linen or tweed fabric. Purchased for $139 at Vintage Pink on Hawthorne.

5 comments:

  1. i hate you!!! These things are really nice. stupid west coast having much better mid century furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah seriously! also, i freaking love the tiny ufo fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you guys are up too. This kind of clever work and exposure!

    Keep up the superb works guys I've incorporated you guys to my own blogroll.

    Feel free to visit my weblog :: cheap short term housing houston tx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete